Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What Might've Been....

You know, I can't help but think about us when I look at Oklahoma. Look at what happens to a team when you lose your biggest offensive weapon (Gresham) and an NFL quality QB to injury. You lose 3 games and you're in disarray. Those guys were supposed to contribute. When you look at them, it's kind of sad because they didn't get a fair shake. When it comes to players leaving early, I used to say, "Well, it happnes to everyone, you just deal with it." Well, that's just not true. Sometimes, superstars return for a shot at immortality. What could the '09 season have looked like w/ Asher, Knowshon, and Matthew back for one more year. Is there any doubt that we'd be 7-0 and ranked in the top 4? The truth is, Florida is markedly different because Harvin left, but just think how different they'd be if Spikes and Tebow would have left. Sometimes, that's just the nature of life in college football, and every program goes through different ups and downs with that issue. How would the '04 Auburn team have fared if Ronnie, Cadillac, and Carlos Rogers decided to skip out on that year? I don't fault those guys for going. I just want to think that our day will come when a special group decides to make history at UGA. Which makes me think: I may never get over that '04 UT game and David missing Reggie in the back of the endzone. That was the group and that was the team. And it also makes me think that DJ Shockley was pretty darn special.

2 comments:

  1. I can't go there.....too much time spent about the one that got away. Girlfriends, football and oh so is life- not in that order of course. I hope that when I read this on Sunday that it won't make me cry-

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to go there, Moggs. I guess my point is that it's just too easy to say, "We stink" and not look at the big picture. There are fans in Norman saying the same thing, and they were a fluke INT before halftime away from seizing control of the MNC game last year. One or two players simply make a huge difference. It would just be fun to have a couple kids stick around and try to go win one. Whethere it's UNC or UF in B-ball or UF and Texas in football, there seems to be a formula there when it comes to compteting for championships.

    ReplyDelete