Thursday, September 8, 2016

Eat Mor Tarheel

Well, that was fun.  Let’s do it for 14 more.

·       It was an interesting atmosphere.  Dawg fans got really, really loud before the safety.  I’m sure I was more aware because of my lovely bride, but I saw more mixed couples or families than any other game I’ve ever been to.  I even saw several people with gear from both teams on.  The fans were very cordial.  It’s the same people groups.  I think that’s why it’s hard for us to really hate Bama.  Of the people that actually go to games, it’s the same people groups.  Most UNC fans had on a polo and/or Carolina blue pants or shorts.  I can respect that.
·       To describe Nick Chubb is impossible.  It’s a long season, and he needs to make it through it, but I’ll say it – I think he’s better than Todd.  I wasn’t sure I’d ever say that.  I thought Todd was the best back we’d had since Herschel, even better than Garrison, who I had considered the post-Herschel best before.  I think Nick’s better.  If he stays healthy, he might, MIGHT, sniff 2,000…because Coach Kirbs is going to give him the rock.
·       My Lord, is Charlie Woerner going to be some kind of football player.
·       After watching the tape, I’m not as worried about kicking as I was.  I know.  You’d like what I’m smoking.
·       Kimbrough probably made a good career decision.  He ain’t playing in front of those two jokers.
·       Mo Smith’s 2 deep ball break-ups were as good as I’ve ever seen a UGA DB do.
·       No one talks about this, but we really missed Christian Payne when he got injured last year. 
·       It will be fascinating to see where Herrien ends up once Sony and Elijah get back in the mix.  I was elated to see Kirby’s short leash with Douglas after the fumble.  The kid’s just not that good.  He’s had ball security issues his whole career and can’t hit a whole.  Good on Kirby to go to a more talented freshman in a big opening game.  It won the game.  The kid made huge runs, and there’s a good chance he’s our 4th string back.  That’s one of those decisions that I just don’t see Richt making.  He had gotten more and more conservative through his career.
·       I think I’m going to love our offense.  For our personnel, we did about all you can do…in game one!  I didn’t realize how many times we went empty until I watched the replay, and we only did it with Jacob.  Kudos to the staff for putting a package in to make him comfortable based on what he did in high school.  Who knew you could do that?  We were empty, 5-wide on the bomb to Joystick.  It won the game. 
·       We’ve gotta get 5 involved more.  I had heard he was in the doghouse a bit when I was at practice, but he’s still our most explosive player.  We need to unlock the doghouse.

I’m beyond excited about Kirby.  Watching the TV copy, I loved his coaching.  He coached.  I really believe his style is going to quickly become one of the most attractive in the nation.  There’s an edge without the disdain that Saban has.  He’s ridiculously intense but looks like he’s having fun.  Good for him.  Good for us.  Having said that, this week matters a lot.  We need to start the Seattle Slinger©.  It’s clear he’s a star in the making.  We can win the East this year, and we’re very capable of being 11-1 when we get there. Maybe we’ll see more holes as the season progresses and UT and Florida get better, but we’re very capable of going 11-1.  If we get there to play the Tide, they’ll have a true freshman QB, too, but they won’t have Nick Chubb.  We’ve gotta get our kid ready, ‘cause we’ll have to throw it to beat them.  That’s a loooooooooong way off, but we have to be thinking that way.  If we doesn’t start, fine.  He needs to come in early and get as many reps as possible.  It starts mattering in Columbia the next week.

Go Dawgs!
Chubb for Heisman!
Kirby/Eason ’16!

No comments:

Post a Comment