Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Show Me

Will Mizzou ever stop wearing those awful yellow jerseys against us?  

It was something.  It was a huge moment in game 3.  It is funny to me how people react.  We wait all summer for the season, and then we complain about the season.  We’re 3-0, and we’ll take that.  The truth is we don’t know anything.  UNC might very well go 10-2.  I think that Mizzou team is good.  At the end of the year, we might all believe Mizzou is better than Ole Miss.  It’s hard to win games.  And we won a tough one.

It was truly a bizarre game in that I felt like we should be up by 2 scores and at the same time literally could not believe we’d won.  I almost thought we’d forgotten how to pull one of those out.  I’m delighted we did.

·       The runs seemed forced to so many, but we kept time of possession in a game we desperately needed to.  We also had a lot of 2nd and 7s instead of 2nd and 10.  That would bode well for us on 3rddowns.  Speaking of which…
·       Jacob Eason…3rd down machine.
·       Loved that Lambert was the first to Eason as he came to the sideline.  I don’t know why, by people kind of lose their minds when thinking about sports and assume people are some kind of egotistical robots.  They’re not.  These are these guys’ best friends.  If I was on Andy Stanley’s staff, I wouldn’t be thinking I should preaching more than him.  Lambert knows what we all know, and I’m super proud of him.  We might need him at some point this year.
·       With Sony still getting back, we’re just starting to see the offense.  Because of Eason’s development, I really think it’s going to be about another week or two before we can really pin down who we are.
·       At what point, though, will teams back off?  Will Eason have to hit that bomb?  Will 55 passes force Ole Miss to do it?
·       At the end of the day, the D didn’t play that bad.  Quietly, we just started getting stop after stop and turnover after turnover.  We gave them some field position on KO and the pick, but they really hit 2-3 big plays.  The two games against quality teams, I feel like we’ve done that – gathered our feet and shut the door defensively.
·       I am kicking this week.  It’s been a while, but I’m warming up.  There is a sense of glee from me toward the morons who have exclaimed for 15 years that a kicking coach and special teams coach is all we needed to fix our woes.  We have the potentially the greatest college kicker coaching our kids and the son of the greatest special teams mind in modern football coaching special teams – and we can’t make a kick and have made a weekly tradition of kick catch interference.  Kids.  Are.  Dumb.
·       I was worried a little about Nick.  Was he dinged up, not 100%.  Mostly I thought he was gassed after the UNC game getting back into game shape.  That may still be true.  But when I saw he was hit in the backfield 12 of 19 carries.  You can’t do much with that.  I’ve got 99 UGA football problems, and #27 ain’t one.
·       I think Mizzou is going to give some teams some fits.  UT is going to have a hard time keeping up with them and I don’t think Dobbs can throw it 55 times to win it.

I have no idea what happens this week.  No idea.  Are they fragile or angry?  Are we finding our groove and learning to win or masking a lot of deficiencies.  I do believe we’re going to get better and better every week.  But I could see us getting blown out Saturday, and I could see us blowing them out.  I just really don’t know.  I’ve decided that you almost really have to get well into October before you know what a team is, but even then…any given Saturday.  I’m not convinced Ole Miss is great.  I predicted before the season they’d be 1-3 by the end of September.  I don’t trust Kelly, and they don’t have the stars to make the plays now that they had the last 2 years.  

BTW, if you didn’t hear or see the presser today, you probably should.  I happened to be coming back from a meeting when it was on.  I think it’s hilarious.  First, I love how he simply calls Eason “The Kid.”  I just don’t get the butt hurt over his testiness w/ the media.  Sunday School is over guys.  He’s all business.  And I don’t mind it.  I don’t think fans care.  I sure don’t.  Maybe y’all feel different.  Media obligations come with the large paycheck, but the truth is none of those guys have a clue what they’re talking about.  Like, literally they don’t know what they’re talking about.  You don’t hear former players ask the stupid questions.  They just don’t.  The bottom line is that the finest man to ever coach in college football won 10 games for 2 straight years and every guy in the media room wrote a story speculating and even suggesting his dismissal.  Nice guy and 10 wins isn’t enough in Athens.  So Kirby ain’t got time to be nice.  What will being nice get him?  What did being nice get Mark Richt?  Nothing.  Plus, it just makes it more fun to listen to.  And here’s the big secret:  I truly believe that it’s all calculated.  He wants the media to write about him and worry about this rather than research the team and write about the kids.

Oh, and I really love the QB for Louisville.  Awesome to watch him play.  But remember how we were convinced Fournette was the Heisman lock about week 4.  He didn’t even get invited to NYC.  Long, long season.  As the Dawgs say, Keep Swinging.

Go Dawgs!
Beat Ole Miss!
Chubb for Heisman!
Kirby/Eason '16

No comments:

Post a Comment