Can you believe it? It’s amazing we’ve turned it around so quickly, and this is just the beginning. I had serious doubts when Eason got hurt. Fromm has proven to be a catalyst and 4-yr starter. I’d say we’re namely here because of special teams and our o-line. It sure is fun to be playing football in early December. We should be here next year again. We probably won’t be better next year, but we have 7 home games w/ 3 cupcakes, and play UT, Auburn and Tech at home.
I’m pleased Kirby figured out that losing to Tech will make his life very, very miserable. I do think there was a little Saban in him that thought he could just play sound D and stop them. They require some extra prep. Looks like we did it. That said, it’s going to get worse for those guys. In a year or two, we’re going to have Speed, Gibbs and LeCounte roaming around back there, some big dudes. We’re going to have such supreme athletes to them, it will be like that every year. McBride will be the one running in Roquan’s place sideline to sideline. Jake was shaky early (real shaky), but he loosened up to throw some gems. On the long pass to Mecole, though, he had Nauta wide open for a TD. WE ended up scoring, but still.
Part 2 of the DSOR:
· Speaking of Nauta, I think we need a play from him or one of the TEs here. 1 or 2 key catches, maybe 1 for a TD or huge gainer. Dawg fans have forgotten we have TEs. Auburn’s Defense might have forgotten, too.
· Jake’s gotta play really well. That’s it. He’s got to hit some big passes. They are there to be had against these guys. Can a true freshman QB do that? If there’s one that can, it’s him.
· Sony and Nick have to play like their hair’s on fire. Running Angry and on a mission. Sometimes, Nick looks disinterested. It’s mostly his style. He’s a very patient runner, much like Le’veon Bell. He needs to hit it hard.
· We’ve got to get Swift the ball 4-5 times in this game. I didn’t feel like we did that on the Plains. We were playing very safe. Kid’s a playmaker. Same w/ Mecole.
· I don’t feel like we’ve gone to Godwin enough, but my guess is they’re going to key on Wims. Terry is our most reliable receiver, and he’s got to play like it.
· Rod gotta make kicks. Every point is important.
· We can’t get gashed on D and we’ve gotta get some kind of pash rush. Send Ro if we have to. He won’t miss the sack if he gets there. We’ve gotta get pressure on the kid. He had too much time last game.
· How many Dawg fans will be there? I’ve got a guest preacher . I’m screaming my guts out.
I hated the optics and intangibles of the game on the Plains. They’re seniors were 0-3 against us. At their house. They had to win. But their whole world is beating Bama (and making sure Bama is NOT SEC Champs). It’s as if they can live w/ us as SEC champs, as long as Bama doesn’t get there. It’s, and every Auburn fan I know on Facebook is still posting pictures of Toomer’s corner and Alabama memes. They’re enamored with winning the Iron Bowl. What do you think class (sic) is like at Auburn today? Lots of pats on the back and atta-boys. What do you think and class is like in Athens today? A lot of ‘go get ‘em, boys’, I’d suspect. Has anyone even uttered the word “Tech” since about night? Lock up the Governor’s Cup, and get to work. No one will pick us or believe in us. Maybe that’s rightfully so in the media’s eyes. I really think this game could go sideways for either team. I have no idea what to expect. Could come down to the wire or be a 3 TD game either way. I think we could end up down early and think, “Here we go again” or we could get them down early and they think, “Uh oh, we weren’t really ready for a real football game.”
Some interesting playoff thinking:
· If us and the chalk wins, do they keep us at 4 and go Clemson/UGA in NOLA. Problem w/ that is that, if you really think Wisconsin is the 4th best team, and Clemson is the best, don’t you have to give the Tigers the easiest path? Do they let geography get in the way of what is right. Thought they got it right 3 years ago by sending FSU to Rose instead of Sugar.
· If us and Ohio St. wins, we will almost certainly end up in Pasadena vs. OU. That would avoid a semis rematch between Ohio St. and OU. However, you’d have a rematch from last year’s semis of OSU and Clemson. Blah.
· Looks like the only way we end up in NOLA is at #4 or massive upsets of TCU and Miami both winning, which would be epic.
You guys see anything about the game I’m missing? Will Ben Cleveland be a difference maker this game?