Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thoughts from the Bluegrass

-The Parkette Drive-In is a must for future visits to Lex
-Keeneland is awesome. They must love good weather, a night game and the Dawgs in town because we covered that place up.

-Commonwealth Stadium's concessions are just a notch up. I got good, and I mean GOOD, sweet tea at a concession stand.
-The sound system is out of control there. It was ear piercing. I just don't get it. No one, in red or blue, was enjoying the 17 videos they showed during pre-game.

-Does Kentucky know they're in the Big 10?
-Their fans were very mouthy before kickoff. I've never heard them talk so much smack. I'm going to give them the business next year in Athens. Don't worry, though, I held my own. I just kept asking them, "You guys have a football team? I thought we were here for basketball. Who knew?" They didn't find this particularly funny.

-The UGA fan in front of me pointed to the program to his UK buddy at the Joker Phillips bio and said, "is that really his name?" No, it's a massive misprint and all season announcers across the nation have been getting it wrong. He was only head coach in waiting for 17 years.

-I got in a near argument pre-game w/ an acquaintance from college about the new scheduling philosophy. He said, and I quote, "I don't care about winning a national championship. I want to go to some good games and have good experiences. I'd rather lose to Michigan than beat Charleston Southern." -AND- "I don't think it affects the rest of the season whatsoever." While Florida is playing 7 home games and Auburn is playing 8…I, for the life of me, can not understand his logic. It actually disturbs me that we have UGA fans that are that dense. There's no rule that says you can't go to the Rockies in May with your family. Why do you need UGA football to provide you with opportunities to travel? It just baffles me. If you have that attitude, then you can never expect to win big, and you can never judge your coaches win/loss record on the right manner. The truth is, it is impossible to judge CMR vs. Urban since 2006. Richt has been asked to play against schedules that no one else in America is playing against starting in 2006 with Colorado. Urban's playing Charleston Southern and Troy. Hmmm…everything was fine w/ Richt at UGA through 2005, right? Wonder what changed…

I have no idea what's going to happen on Saturday. Who knows what to expect from the Gators? I think we'll play loose, though. We have no reason not to. It's going to be a strange environment down there, and I can't wait.

Couple of tidbits. Last week I heard Dantzler talking about this after the Cocks lost to UK. I lived there in '84 and remember their great season, but had forgotten the timeline of that season. They were 9-0 and lost to Navy. And that was a bad Navy team. They beat Clemson the next week. BYU won the national championship that year because no one else was undefeated. They beat a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl. Thing is, Cocks were independent, and most certainly would have gotten an invite to San Diego to play the Cougers for all the marbles if they'd have beaten Navy…of all teams. They lost the Gator Bowl instead and the curse continued.

If they lose 2 more and we end up in the dome, it will be a collapse of epic proportions.

Go Dawgs!
Beat Florida!
Gators eat boogers and wear jean shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment