Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Nicholls and Dime Ya

Well, glad that’s over.  That literally happened.  It was almost the worst loss in college football in quite some time – but it wasn’t.  At this point, that’s all that really matters.  College football is the most maniacal sport on planet earth because it’s played at such a high level (much higher than NCAA basketball and baseball) by college kids.  The sample sizes are so hard to figure because the season is so short.  For the life of me, still, I cannot figure out how the team that showed up in Lexington, KY in 2012 was the same team that showed up in Jax a fewweeks later.  

I do think first year coaches kind of have these moments, but all teams kind of do.  Our high powered offense in 2008 could barely score vs. a bad South Carolina team.  We won 14-7.  I know, I know.  Nicholls State is remarkably bad.  I’m not sure it matters on a given day like that.  Once you get in a funk it’s hard to get out of.  

I will say it was the most bizarre game I think I’ve ever attended.  I felt fine the whole game right up until Joystick fumbled.  That was the moment.  They didn’t dominate us or gash us.  They’re stats were meager and ours were okay.  We were even on turnovers.  We had less penalties (and only 3).  It was bizarre.  Nothing about the stats tell you the game should be close.  But there we were.   We couldn’t block them, and that was the whole dang story.  D wasn’t bad.  QBs were fine.  Punter punted good.  We just couldn’t block them.

I watched Kirby’s Q & A w/ the press today.  You’d do good to do that sometime.  His tone and words come across much differently than the way the writers write it out.  BTW, I’m so tired of the griping from the press about lack of coach and player availability.  Go cry a river and do your job.  It’s clear they get the QB situation.  He even said the reason Lambert isn’t talking to the media was “Greyson’s not our starter and leader.”  

I’m appalled by the number of people writing off Eason after Saturday.  One of the AJC guys said that he doesn’t appear to be as talented as Stafford.  He says that after 2 games and watching 10 minutes of practice 2 days/wk.  The kid, thus far, is far smoother than Stafford was at this point.  No way Matthew wins that UNC game back in the day.  Matthew could zip it like no other, but Eason is really close in arm strength.

The truth is we know nothing, but we’ll know a lot more by 11 p.m. Saturday.  I do contend that a 60-65 degree kickoff (which is what it will be there) will do our kids a world of good.  We looked a little dead legged.

On to Columbia.  Beat Mizzou!

No comments:

Post a Comment