Monday, November 21, 2016

We Run This State

Here we are at Hate Week.  Man, it goes by fast.  It was nice to breathe on Saturday during a game.  I am already recognizing the feeling of Saturday morning’s arrival in the pit of my stomach.  Basically, I’m miserable the entire Tech game unless we get up by 3 TDs.  Can you believe we won 13-7 last year.  We scored 1 TD against them.  That really happened.  I do have a feeling that Eason is going to light them up.  I also have a feeling that Sony and Nick are going to go off.  I think they both remember the mistakes they made at home in ’14.
 
My main worry is the D.  How will Kirby approach that offense?  As for this past Saturday, I’ll just be sad when Isaiah is gone.  In all my life, I’ve never had the feeling I get when a Georgia player gets the ball.  You know why he thinks he might score every time he touches it?  Because he just might.  His vision and cutting ability are off the charts.  Maybe the best I’ve ever seen.  But don’t let anybody fool you, that joker is fast in the open field in a straight line, too.  Really, really, really fast.  Thought Eason looked good.  We played super vanilla everywhere.  We HAD to play the 2s on D to get them some work late.  Hopefully that experience will pay off down the road.  Brooke Whitmire offered up a complete FAIL with Greyson Lambert.  No announcement whatsoever that he was in the game.  Thought the kid deserved more.  And I can’t help but wonder what this season might have looked like had we played Deandre Baker from the start. 
 
Was thinking about something recently that really is the sticking point with every UGA fan, and it will be our perpetual problem until it’s not.  Someone said upon Stanfill’s death that he was on our Mt. Rushmore.  I got to thinking and thought, “Nah, not quite.”  But, that made me think who is.  4 guys for each program.  I don’t think it’s much of a debate for most teams, and it’s certainly not for us:  Dooley, Sinkwich, Trippi, and Herschel.  National titles, multiple SEC titles, Heisman Trophies, sugar bowl and rose bowl MVPs.  But think of Florida:  Spurrier, Wuerffel, Meyer, and Tebow.  Heismans, SECs, and Natties.  It’s a no brainer, right?  Bama:  Bear, Saban, Ingram, Henry.  Only 2 heisman winners.  All-time coaches.  You MIGHT could pick a LB from the past to put in there, but I don’t know.  Auburn:  Bo, Cam, Shug Jordan and Pat Sullivan.  Clemson:  Ford, Swinney, DeShaun, LB Terry Kinard.  Heck, even South Carolina:  Spurrier, George Rogers, Connor Shaw, and probably either Clowney or Lattimore.
 
Our rivals’ best years and greatest players have been in the last 20-25 years.  Many have been in the last 10.  Championships have been won.  National titles have been won and played for.  There are some positives here.  We have a long and storied history of excellence.  Sinkwich was the first player from the South to win the Heisman.  Many of those teams weren’t winning much in the 40s.  We were.  Herschel is at such an elite level, he ain’t ever coming off.  Dooley will be hard to knock off, as he coached 25 years…but the first coach to 2 natties and he’s gone. 
 
This is our frustration.  As much as I love Champ, Pollack, Greene, Knowshon, Murray, Richt, Gurley and Chubb…They’re not on there.  They’re just not.  The greatest players and greatest seasons in school history happened 35 and 70 years ago.  For all the incredible success Richt had, this was the ultimate shortcoming.  My hope for Kirby and his tenure is that he’d knock Dooley off the mountain, and find/coach a player that knocks Trippi off.  I’d be delighted if by 2021 we said:  Smart, Herschel, Sinkwich and Eason.
 
It’s possible.  That kid is very, very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment