Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Something to Talk About

Finally, football.

Well, I was pleased Saturday.  I think our defense has a chance to be one of the best we’ve ever had.  We just looked more sound. Receivers were covered.  We tackled well.  We were around the ball.  I even think Lamb’s few runs were kind of part of the design.  Run it 3-4 times kid.  We’ll catch you within 15 yards.  And we did.  Random thoughts:

·       LeCounte is going to be a star of epic proportions.  He has maybe 40 more games left to play for us.  He’s already really good.
·       Thought Nick looked quicker and stronger.  Broke some tackles I don’t think he breaks last year.
·       Sony was running like a man possessed.
·       Nauta gonna nauta.  That dude is hard to stop.  I’d throw it to him every play.  That’s probably not a good game plan.
·       Ridley will help the receiving corp.  Godwin, Ridley, Mecole and Wims is a pretty good 4 wide set.
·       OL was alright.  I wasn’t overly concerned or worried or elated or thrilled.  They opened a few creases, which is more than we can say for most games last year.
·       We were very, very vanilla on both sides on purpose.
·       If Rod and Cam kick like that for the season, we’re going to be pretty doggone good on special teams.
·       Very few penalties.  There’s a different aura about us.  Very measured.
·       We beat a team by 21.  That hasn’t happened in almost 2 years.  We should be really happy.  Unlike what Phil Steele said, they did not take us down the wire.  BTW, I’m not a huge Steele fan.  He’s paid to have opinions.  I just don’t think they’re very good. 

And there’s Fromm/Eason.  No way to judge Jacob’s series in context of an entire game.  It’s very likely he’d have been fine.  I’d much rather have him headed up to South Bend.  I’m an Eason guy.  I think the kid is a gamer.  But Fromm was fun to watch.  There’s something about him.  The number brings Aaron to mind, but he reminded me most of Zeier as a freshman.  I’ll say this (and I may eat these words):  if we lose Saturday night, I don’t think it will be because of Jake Fromm.  It’ll be because our D isn’t as good as we thought, we miss FGs or can’t block.  I think the kid will show up ready to play.  I think he’s wired that way.

I mentioned to the Counselor last night.  Are we about to enter into a Chris Simms/Major Applewhite kind of deal.  Every fan in America knew Texas was better off with Applewhite, but the coaches were enamored w/ Simms arm and height.  Well, it’d be a good problem to have.  Having 2 capable QBs is better than having ZERO, and we learned what that looked like in 2015.  I hope the kid performs well and we’ve got good problems on our hands.  I don’t want a QB controversy, but we have to trust the coaches.  They certainly want him to perform well. And we want Jacob to heal and perform well when he gets back in practice or whatever.  I keep thinking of the ’94 Nebraska team.  Frazier got a blood clot early in the season and Brook Berringer started 7 games and led them to the natty vs. Miami.  Fraizier made it back for the bowl, but Berringer played about half the game.  They won their first national championship under Osborne.

And BTW, Fromm is going to take off at some point on Saturday.

And the only thing good that came out of last night was Tech lost. 

Go Dawgs!
Beat ND!

No comments:

Post a Comment