Monday, February 7, 2011

Recruiting and Numbers

After a few of the recruits have aparently chosen numbers and signing day is officially over, I had some thoughts of numbers and stuff. If I had MY WISH, this is how the numbers would shake out:

1 - Isaiah
5 - Swann
6 - Big John Jenkins
8 - LeMay
16 - Nick Marshall
25 - Mitchell (Mitchell wore 26 in H.S, so I'm just guessing he'll choose something close)
38 - Herrera
42 - Branden Smith (Oh yeah, if he let's IC take #1, I'd love him to switch to a powerful number in UGA history…John Brantley, Godfrey,

43 - Turene
47 - Drew
48 - Rome
80 - Scott-Wesley
84 - Conley

It's nice to be running out of skill numbers for scholly players and not have a bunch of walk-ons in them. Check this out, you know one of my favorite things about CFB is oddball numbers. We could have this lineup in the front seven at some point in the season:

D-line
56 G. Smith
6 Jenkins
85 Lott

LBs
47 Drew
22 Samuel
29 Jones
83 CornWash

Boy, do I love that! We're going to get better immediately. I love what I'm reading about using Jenkins at fullback and playing Swann, Marshall, and Mitchell both ways. Maybe we're about to enter into a creative season at UGA, using Marshall in a WildDawg (in which we actually throw the ball!), using Smith, Mitchell & Swann on reverses and sweeps. And, man, this class seems to be saying ALL the right things and has a different kind of swagger, and because we stink so bad, our guys know we need it. As Trinton said when he announced he was returning, "I hope we get some good recruits." We know that the off season often offers a lot of smoke. Something feels different about this. We really WEREN'T that far off last year. When you look at it, we were just an emotional basket case. We lost 7 games and could have easily won 6 of them. We had so little intestinal fortitude. That's what I like about these guys. This group coming in doesn't sound like they're coming in expecting to lose. They're not hoping to turn this thing around. They're going to. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Go Dawgs!
Beat Boise!

No comments:

Post a Comment