Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Well.....Here We Are


Well Boys, it's hard to believe we're where we are.  I texted Teddy last night this…boy, doesn't that cocktail party get sweeter and sweeter.  I can think of few things greater in football world than waking up on Jan. 8 with UGA #1 at 13-1 and National Champs and Floriday at 12-1 and #2…and there's not a thing they can do about it.  They'll be champions of the Sugar Bowl (maybe over Kent St!!!!!!!), and that's about it.  I suppose they'll get Oregon because they get the first 2 picks, but wouldn't Gators vs. Flashes be a beauty.  BTW, the CFA bowl is a happy group after Saturday.  They stand to get something like Clemson vs. TAMU or LSU.  Either way, it will be 2 10-2 teams. 
As for Saturday….
  • I was thinking this morning about Mark Richt.  I wonder if this will show through the broadcast, but you've got to think Danielson and Verne are pulling for Richt.  Moreover, I'd think nearly everyone in the conference is.  He's a good man.  I hope it's his time.  From an SEC perspective, I think ND has a better chance of beating Bama than us.  I think we're too fast and explosive on offense.  #26 and #12 would look like lightning bolts against that ND secondary.
  • If we pull it off, we'll prove something pretty monumental.  They say it can't happen after 12 years.  "THEY" are stupid.  We've got a great coach who has completely re-made himself and the program.  He's been willing to change everything but the pieces he knew were right (i.e. offense).  Now, we look pretty good.  I just keep thinking about poor Matt Stafford.  We owe that kid a defense.
  • I think we're better, plain and simple.  I think we're playing at a higher level right now.  I watched a good bit of that LSU/Bama game.  LSU beat them every which way but sideways and I'm not convinced LSU is a great team.  Right now, I think the Gators and Dawgs are the best 2 teams in the land.  Have I mentioned who won that head to head match-up?
  • I'm most interested to see what they try on offense.  Can they road grade us with that great line they've got?  I don't know.  I'd be shocked if they could pound us all game.  I think that's the test.  I think we'll get our points on offense, but can we stop their physicality?  And, then, can we get to McCarron and get him a little rattled.  #29 certainly gets me rattled, and I'll bet he's ecstatic to be playing against a pro-style attack again.
  • Of course, I'm interested to see if we can run the ball against them.  I think Murray's going to have get something with his legs, maybe even a designed run or two.  We ran the ball enough against Florida, and I think their D is better.  If we can run it, we're going to win this thing.  It's hard to believe we managed to dominate that first half last year with Crowell gimped up and Carlton Thomas in the line-up.  That was literally our plan:  Gimpy IC and Carlton, with a little Boo mixed in.  And we should have been up on them 21-0. 
Just some random thoughts: 
  • You know why our FG kicking hasn't been that big of a deal this year?  We score TDs. 
  • I can't believe all those guys were suspended 4 games and still came back.  Makes me think they want to make this special.  Saturday at 8 p.m. could be pretty special.
  • You know, in a 4-team playoff, the Cocktail party means very little other than winning the SEC.  Sad face.  I think a 4-team is right, but we'll lose a little charm.  What we gain is that conferences that we can't tell if they're equal or not get a chance to square off against one another.  I still think K-state is a pretty good team.
  • We're the home team Saturday.  We've never worn white in the Dome.  Black jerseys would be…ballsy.  You can bet your bottom dollar we'll be in red, as well we should be.
  • The last 2 times that the SECCG has been a 'semi-final', the lower ranked team won.  Bama was #1 in 2008, Florida was #1 in 2009. 
  • Geno Atkins is tearing up the NFL, if you care, as is Dannell Ellerbe.
  • I don't want to hear about schedules.  We were loaded for bear in 2008 and riding high.  We got Bama and LSU out of the West along with Auburn and stupidly had a cross country trip to Tempe the week before the Bama game.  It was ridiculous. 
This season sure has been fun.  It's hard to believe we're less than 2 years removed from that long ride back from Memphis with my boys sleeping in the back of my truck.  I was sad, but hopeful.  After Boise, I was down and out.  Somehow, though, we started figuring out how to win games.  In Nashville in 2011, we won a game we'd found a way to lose in 2009 and 2010.  In Jax, we found a way to win a game we always lose down there.  Turnovers and down early 17-3, we stormed back and won the dang thing, winning the East and setting the stage for this year.  Enter Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall.  It's a really fun team to cheer for and a group of guys that seem to really love each other.  I hope they get what they deserve Saturday night.  They've fought hard for the red and black.
Go Dawgs!
Beat Bama!

1 comment: