Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Thoughts on the season recap video: New Year, New Team, One Dream

Don't know if you've seen the video they showed at the Senior Gala, but you need to check it out.  It has left me with very mixed emotions.  A couple of thoughts:
  • Mark Richt is right, "Nobody does it better than Georgia."  Everything, and I mean everything, about what we do is…majestic.  The town, the unis, the stadium, the fanbase.  Nobody. 
  • We had a darn good football team that was ravished by a brutal schedule and catastrophic injuries.  I want to say that we should have won more games.  We might, MIGHT, look back and think it was all a miracle.
  • We can make good videos.  It's obvious that whoever is in charge of these is not in charge of the stadium videos.
  • There were no clips from the Auburn game.  There shouldn't be.  UGA needs to wipe it from our memory.  Cal-Stanford was fuel for Elway's fire for an entire career.  He still won't talk about it.  In the meantime, he closed a career with 2 Super Bowls and is building another champion now.
  • I'd be very interested to know if the Ramik targeting penalty in there was intentionally.
  • Get used to calling Chris Conley, Mr. President.  Seriously, that dude will probably be our AD one day.
Now, let me be very careful here.  But…part of this video really bothers me.  Part of me wonders if this video is exactly the hiccup in our program.  I love football and the relationships it forms.  Ben and I became friends working for some pretty average as grits teams.  Our best season was 10-2 and that felt like we were on top of the world.  We were also part of a 5-6 crew and the last UGA team to not make a bowl.  It IS a game, and the relationships formed in the grind are powerful.  But we're not starting a Boy Scout troop are we?  Truthfully, the narration doesn't bother me.  It was trying to make sense of the crazy mess the season became because of crazy circumstances.  Artie's comments bothered me most.  In 40 years, of course we'll remember.  I'll remember we couldn't get a snap down and lost by 3 at Clemson.  I remember we beat UT 16-15 to open up the season 33 years ago. 

I get it.  I really do.  I understand the relationships…the people.  I just think it was a little too "Aw shucks."  No team wins 'em all.  I just want it to bother us a little more when we don't.  It's not the 8-4.  And there were some fun and magical moments in the 8 and in a couple of the 4.  And I know we're trying to honor seniors with that video.  I'd love to hear Richt's thoughts on it.  I do think 8-4 bothers him.  I love the feel of it, but there's just a hint of something missin in it.  Just a hint.  Tell me if I'm totally wrong.

BTW, this is why I think I'm gonna like Hutson.  I think it bothers him.  I hate we only get him for 1 season.  I wish he was a RSJr. Next year.  However, his one shot might be a different kind of motivation for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment