Monday, January 9, 2017

Title Game: Cannot, Will NOT Root for Clemson

I’ll be Positive Paul and take good no matter the outcome.  There are no real winners here.  I cannot root for Clemson.  I just can’t.  I don’t want all my childhood friends to get their title before I get mine.  That’s not true.  I never want Clemson to win a title.  But, if they win, I’ll be happy for my brother experiencing something he wasn’t sure he would before he died.  He’s a good fan, and gets that they’re on an historic run w/ #4.  As a coach, he understands how hard it is to win games and falls in the “win 9 a year and every once in a while maybe make a run for it” camp.  If Clemson wins, might it reveal a chink in the Bama armor?  It would be the first loss by Saban on the biggest stage.  Might it give our team confidence when we play them in Atlanta.  I always thought LSU’s win over Florida in ’97 played a huge role for us to win in Jax.  Florida was the defending champ and still ranked #6, but the Bengal Tigers had proven they weren’t invincible.  It could mark the end for Bama.  Who knows?  Bobby was 71 when FSU lost to OU in 2001 amidst coordinator upheaval before the game (Richt was pulling double duty).  FSU didn’t make it back until 12 years later and a coaching change.  I wouldn’t expect that drop off from Bama, but it starts somewhere.
 
BTW, why doesn’t Deshaun get flagged for the shooting the arrow thing?  There are a lot of double standards in sports, but imagine Johnny Manziel or Cam doing that.  Deshaun is likeable, but it’s still a punk move.  Congratulate your O-Line and the guy who caught the pass and tell your coach good call.  It wasn’t all you, buddy.  Old man rant over.
 
I want Bama to win because I want to be the one to do it.  I want Kirby to be the first mentee to beat the mentor.  I want us to be the East team to finally win in Atlanta. I want to be the one to slay the giant and punch our ticket. 
 
Having said all that, I think Bama will roll.  What a crazy scenario they have found themselves in as almost…underdogs.  Everyone is picking Clemson and talking about all the points they rolled up last year along w/ the yards. I see that D coming to prove a point.  I see Sark dialing up a few and Hurts playing his best in a while.  That Saban is going to be able to play the disrespect card in the locker room is astounding, but the media has done it for him.  I might be wrong, but I think the message in the Bama locker room will be “Make them wonder why they wanted a rematch.”  I think Clemson had their shot and these jokers are going to try and prove a point.
 
Bama 34 – Clemson 17

No comments:

Post a Comment